Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Impact of Where You Get Your News

The Tulsa shooting is one event I heard of, and my reaction to it was anger. The fact that an unarmed man was shot – most likely because of some racial prejudice held by the officer – is angering. I will admit that I cannot imagine the kind of pressure police officers face, but investigations should be held in ever situation of a civilian being shot – all biases being put aside. At the very least Ms. Shelby should be losing her job – because of lack of judgment on her part. Her bail ended up being $50,000, and this amount is minimal compared to the bail that would have been given to an African American male.
I heard about the Tulsa shooting originally from family, and then by reading about the event in the Wall Street Journal. I believe that these sources shape my opinion very much. My family and I are always saddened by the news of an unexpected death, especially at the hands of higher authorities. My family has also always had a huge impact on me as a person. I have always enjoyed the Wall Street Journal, but this is because I believe that for the most part they try to present more facts than opinion. While I know that Wall Street Journal does have it’s own agenda, but I believe that the way this news source presents the facts that they have are in a very formal way.
Other news outlets do present things in different ways. For example, Fox News most likely came to the rescue for Ms. Shelby – in a way that is most likely aggressive towards African Americans. MSNBC is probably more aggressive toward the police force. I think that every news source will present their side of the story to push their own agenda. Sometimes true fact can be replaced by the agendas of news sources.

Work Cited:

Mahtani, Shibani. "Tulsa Police Officer Booked, Released in Terence Crutcher Shooting Case." WSJ. Wsj.com, 23 Sept. 2016. Web. 27 Sept. 2016. http://www.wsj.com/articles/tulsa-police-officer-booked-released-in-terence-crutcher-shooting-case-1474633452.

3 comments:

  1. I too seem to get a lot of my information and news from my family. We discuss everything, from politics, to over policing. In fact over policing has been a major topic of discussion in my life and in a class that I am currently enrolled in at Texas Tech University.

    I am currently working on behalf of a group called Campaign Zero, who is trying to push local cities to establish a Community Advisory Board or a Police Oversight Board. These boards are made up of citizens, either appointed or elected, that work together in an unbiased manner to investigate complaints my citizens about the possible over policing of the local law enforcement. I just wish that local and national news outlets would report on things such as this, instead of solely focusing on diving a nation that is already splintered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shooting in Tulsa was absolutely devastating. A man was doing everything he was taught to do when facing the police and was still shot and killed. Racial prejudice is still strong today even in 2016 and I don't understand how people can still deny it. I completely agree that the media tries to influence you and show the other party in a bad light. This shouldn't have happened and it shouldn't be a case of if Ms. Shelby goes to jail but when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's undeniable the prejudice that continues to go on today and it's sickening. The media tries to influence you and they are very successful at influencing a great deal of people! That is what is so sad...some people fall for the scams and stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete