Tuesday, September 20, 2016

What Does My Music Say About Me?

For this assignment I put my Spotify on shuffle and attempted to make a conclusion, based on the first five songs, on what impression people would have of me. I think it would also be interesting to see what you may think of me without reading the rest of the blog. If you want, you can look up the first five songs and make a comment of your judgments. The songs that made the first five were:
                        When I’m With You – Ben Rector
                        Dirty Water – Lecrae
                        Board of Education – Propaganda 
                        Let it be Jesus – Christy Nockels
                        The Men that Drive Me places – Ben Rector.
The first song on this list is When I’m With You by Ben Rector. This song shows a nostalgic side that I have of my past. I loved high school and this song brings back memories of those years. This song brings up memories of a girlfriend I had in high school and how I got stuck in mud twice while driving her home from two separate dates. This song allows me to look at past mistakes and be able to laugh. While the song does not really have a deep meaning, it does carry personal importance for me.
The second song is Dirty water by Lecrae. This is one of three Christian songs that are on this list, so it should be seen that I am a Christian. Other than that, this song holds more importance than just being Christian. Dirty water has a message of racism amongst the Christian community. My favorite lines that pertain to this being:
“…just dug a well in West Africa
    But how many of my friends is Afri-can, huh?
     No habla español (nope)
     Just show me tu baño
     Ain't tryna get to know you, I'm too busy readin' Daniel (woo!)
       Most segregated time of day is Sunday service (My Lawd)
     Now what you think that say about the God you worship? (ok)”.
I have been on many mission trips in the past and I have seen that people do treat others differently when not on home turf. This song is a reminder that I am to be a representation of Christ with everything that I do no matter where I am.
            The next song is Board of Education by Propaganda, and this song is very important to me because it is the song that influenced my decision in wanting to become a teacher. This song goes over issues in the education system – such as standardized testing. My favorite lines are:
These lessons have wings, only to get clipped, to fit, into the Low-Res JPEG. you call
"The State Standards." Why do you insist this is still the industrial age?
 My child is not a widget. And a school should not be an assembly line. Making my daughter's
Diploma equivalent to an inspected by 2235 stamp
Dear Bored of Education, so are we”.
I have many frustrations with the modern education system, and I believe these lines express just that.
            Let is be Jesus is the next song and I love this song. It is a constant reminder of who has been there through everything, and that in everything I do I am a representation of what and whom I believe in. The line “For me to live is Christ” is repeated all through out the song, and to me these are very powerful words that are a constant reminder.
            The Men That Drive Me Places by Ben Rector is the next song, and this song is a constant reminder to not ever think too highly of myself. Meaning not to look at others as lower than me, but equals. Basically, to see people as people – not as the life style they live. Ben Rector also seems to also make references to white privilege, and I as a white male need to know that others do not have it as easy.  
           I was excited when I heard these five songs come on, because they really express my religious beliefs and stances on social issues. I think these songs exemplify who I am as a person well. I will also leave the music video of Board of Education for those future teachers.       

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Michael this is an amazing post! Like you said I am able to tell a lot about who you are just by listening to these songs. I think that they all covered the most important aspects of your life and I loved that! I also loved the way that you incorporated your favorite lines from the songs so I could tell what parts really speak to you. As a future teacher myself, I could not agree with "Bored of Education" more! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful mix to illustrate who you are. I appreciate your including the video, too. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful mix to illustrate who you are. I appreciate your including the video, too. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete